Rugged and Remote Spitsbergen cruise
- Up to £200 per person on board spend*
- Sailing from Newcastle
- Experience a unique exploration of Norway, featuring a week-long discovery of unique landscapes, breathtaking waterways and fascinating remote settlements found deep within the Arctic Circle.
- Be immersed in the stunning beauty and incredible history of eerie, rarely-visited towns in rugged Spitsbergen; visit the North Cape; and see the astonishing Tuna, Nordenskiöldbreen and Black glaciers.
- Enjoy scenic fjord cruising on Balmoral and visit destinations such as Olden and Åndalsnes, for tours to unmissable fjordland wonders, plus revel in the wonder of the mesmerising midnight sun.
22nd Jun 2022 - 15 nights - Sails from Newcastle - Balmoral L2217
An unforgettable week within the Arctic Circle is at the heart of what makes this itinerary so special. On board Balmoral, you’re in for magical scenic cruising in areas of outstanding natural beauty, while each destination you visit will offer many unforgettable moments ashore. The two days in Spitsbergen – found just 700 nautical miles from the North Pole – is top on the list of highlights. Time in Longyearbyen and eerie Pyramiden is something not many get to experience; these far-away towns, situated amongst scenes of stunning Arctic landscapes, offer an insight into the Svalbard archipelago’s Soviet-influenced history, with their imposing architecture and abandoned mineshafts. Go inside the abandoned buildings and wander amongst the industrial communities that thrived here, for a taste of what life was once like. Your time in Svalbard also includes memorable sails by the by the magnificent Nordenskiöldbreen and Tuna glaciers, as well as the jaw-dropping stratifications of Tempelfjorden’s Temple Mountain.
Extraordinary destinations on the Norwegian mainland also await discovery during your exhilarating Arctic adventure. Sailing all the way to the ‘top of Europe’, Balmoral takes you to Honningsvåg, from where you can revel in the unspoilt, rugged landscapes of the North Cape plateau. You’ll also visit Tromsø, with time to visit the iconic Arctic Cathedral and enjoy views from atop Mount Storsteinen, while scenic cruising by the mighty Black Glacier will provide a glimpse of Mother Nature’s work at its finest. In addition, you’ll be within the Arctic Circle during the Midnight Sun phenomenon, when the sun does not set at night. Elsewhere, visit Åndalsnes for a chance to ride the magnificent Rauma Railway; have a chance to learn of the fascinating maritime history and fishing traditions of pretty Måløy; and call at Olden, starting point for uncovering the magnificent Briksdal Glacier and breathtaking Lovatnet Lake. Journeys to these destinations will be just as memorable, with the chance to witness the beauty of the spectacular Torghatten and Seven Sisters mountains, Trollfjord and more.
*Up to £200 per person on board spend if booked by 31 December 2020
- Comfortable, stylish cabins and suites equipped with a Smart TV, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities, a fridge and individually controlled air conditioning
- A tempting choice of cuisine every day throughout your cruise – with five-course à la carte dinners, casual breakfast and lunch buffets, late-night snacks and much more
- Unlimited, self-service tea and coffee available 24hrs at selected venues, complimentary afternoon tea* with sandwiches and cakes, and in-room sandwiches and snacks
- A full programme of evening entertainment, including cabaret shows, comedy, dancing and live music
- Full use of on board leisure facilities, including swimming pools, Jacuzzis and gym
- A wide choice of engaging on board activities and lectures throughout the day
- All UK port taxes (where collectable in advance)
- Luggage porterage between your cabin and the drop-off/pick-up point
- Formal welcome and/or Captain’s Drinks Party and Gala Buffet