Jerusalem, Galilee & the Dead Sea
- 7 nights in 4-star accommodation
- Return flights & transfers
- Programme of daily tours & visits
- 13 meals: 7 breakfasts & 6 dinners
- Expert tour manager
- Checked Luggage
Israel and the Palestinian authority city of Bethlehem represent an extraordinary collection of both classical and Biblical sites unmatched anywhere else in the world. From the palaces of Herod the Great to the Sea of Galilee and the Old City of Jerusalem, the places we visit and the stories behind them are inextricably linked to the very basis of our Western civilisation, but it is only by actually going to see them that everything falls into place.
Uniquely nestling between Europe, Africa and Asia, at the heart of the ‘Fertile Crescent’, the world’s cradle of civilisation, this remarkable region probably has more remains and influences of more civilisations, religions and empires, and in such a small area, than anywhere else on earth! Fought over by countless generations, it has seen the clash of civilisations and religions since the dawn of history itself. The Canaanites, Alexander the Great, the Romans, the Saracens, the Crusaders, the Ottomans, the British: all have ruled here and all have left remarkable footprints.
We visit Caesarea, one of the three most important ports in the ancient world, plus the spectacular cliff-top fortress of Masada where the final battle of the first real revolt in the Roman Empire took place. It was in the decades leading up to the revolt that Jesus carried out his ministry and we’ll visit all the major sites associated with him, from his birth in Bethlehem, to his early years in Galilee and the final acts around Jerusalem.
We’ll also have a guided tour of Acre, the best-preserved and most complete Crusader city in the world, visited by Marco Polo, fought over by Richard the Lionheart, Saladin and even Napoleon. During more modern times we’ll find out about the British involvement and about the many challenges facing the region today.
Old Jerusalem, tiny at just one square kilometre, throughout recorded history has always been one of the world’s most evocative cities and it is no exaggeration to say you are literally tripping over monuments as you wander through its maze of streets, mercifully too narrow for motor traffic which only serves to amplify its ancient atmosphere.
Split into its four distinct quarters: Jewish, Islamic, Christian and Armenian, you notice the differences immediately as you wander amongst them. Changing little over the centuries, it is bustling, vibrant and so oddly ‘real’ it is almost a film set.
From the shores of the sparkling Mediterranean to the fertile valleys of the north, the great inland lake that is the Sea of Galilee, to the desert landscapes of the south and the lowest point on earth at the Dead Sea, our tour will cover an extraordinary panorama. So come with us and discover what makes the ‘Promised Land’ such a remarkable and totally unique place to visit.
Experience more with so much included
- Happy by day two or we'll bring you home with a full refund
- Seven nights in four-star hotels with daily breakfast and six dinners included
- Guided tour of Caesarea, ancient Roman capital of Judea
- Walking tour of Acre, the world’s only fully-preserved crusader city – stunning melange of medieval military architecture
- Boat cruise on the Sea of Galilee
- Visit the spectacular fortress of Masada, site of the final siege of Jewish Revolt against the Romans
- Visit the serene site of the Sermon on the Mount and the Church of the Multiplication
- See Nazareth and the Church of the Annunciation
- Guided visit to Christendom holiest site, Jerusalem’s Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- See the famous Dome of the Rock and the Western Wall, holy sites of Islam and Judaism
- Visit Bethlehem and the Church of the Nativity
- Walking tour of the Jewish, Christian and Muslim quarters of Jerusalem’s ‘Old City’
- See the Dead Sea Scrolls & the Yad Vashem, the moving memorial to the Holocaust
- Stay on the Dead Sea, the lowest point on earth