Pompeii, Capri & The Bay of Naples
- 7 nights in 3 to 4-star superior accommodation
- Return flights & transfers
- Daily visits & tours
- Breakfast & dinner
- Hotel Michelangelo is on a B&B basis
- Checked Luggage
- Expert tour manager
The Sorrento peninsula and the Bay of Naples is simply one of the most beautiful corners of Europe, attracting visitors for centuries in search of its outstanding scenery, tranquillity and some of the most wondrous ‘sights’ from throughout history. Indeed in the immediate area we have a selection of places to see and visit which stand comparison with almost anywhere in the world.
It has a long and violent history, and invasions by the Greeks, Phoenicians and Saracens have all left their mark – but none more so than the Romans. Even 2000 years ago the attributes of the region were well known with the Emperors Tiberius and Augustus, together with countless members of the ruling elite, having villas here.
Sorrento came to real fame during the late 18th century when many of Europe’s aristocracy came to spend their winters here, attracted by its mild climate and outstanding natural beauty. Sumptuous houses and grandiose hotels were built along the cliff-tops and today Sorrento is everything you expect an Italian town to be: tiny cobbled streets and quaint squares with flowers decorating almost every building, tubs of geraniums, dark blue morning glory climbing up pastel coloured, almost crumbling walls, with pink Oleander, Bougainvillea and roses in almost every open space. Mouth-watering aromas drift from the numerous restaurants and bistros, some humble and homely, some grand and ostentatious with pavement cafés serving fine cappuccino on seemingly every street corner.
Explore the legendary Amalfi coast, with every guidebook proclaiming Europe’s most beautiful, and when you see it, you cannot disagree! Limestone mountains covered with pine forests plunge dramatically into the calm blue Mediterranean. Next it’s Capri, which possesses a deserved reputation as a veritable Garden of Eden – it is no surprise why so many celebrities live here.
The Bay of Naples' skyline is dominated by the majestic and still active volcano Vesuvius, rising loftily to over 4000 feet and it has erupted in spectacular fashion several times in its history. The most famous of course, was in 79AD when Roman Pompeii, together with many of its inhabitants, were entombed and whose state of preservation today is little short of remarkable.
All in all there can be few places you will find which combine together so much of interest in an area of such outstanding natural beauty as the Bay of Naples.
Experience more with so much included
- Happy by day two or we'll bring you home with a full refund
- Full-day visit to the stunning island of Capri
- Walking orientation tour of Sorrento
- Guided tour of Pompeii
- Full day tour of the breathtaking Amalfi coast
- Tour of the ancient Roman town of Herculaneum and explore Naples with a local guide (2023 only)
- Visit the beautiful Rufolo Gardens with stunning views over the coastline (2024 only)
- Enjoy an authentic farm lunch in the Sorrento countryside (2024 only)
The Signature Tour option includes all of the above as well as:
- Wander a rustic lemon and olive grove in the company of the family who have owned it for generations, followed by an authentic lemon-inspired lunch with locally-sourced ingredients (2023 only)
- Eat delectable traditionally wood-fired pizza in the city of its creation, soaking up the atmosphere of an authentic Naples pizzeria and enjoy a skilful cooking demonstration (2023 only)
- Relax aboard a private boat cruise to experience glamorous Capri’s iconic island shores from a different perspective
- Enjoy a wine tasting and light lunch at a local winery (2024 only)
- Listen to the enchanting sounds of Three Tenors in Sorento, with a music selection inspired by the original trio (2024 only)